Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Other Topics » Building Products » Exit discharge barrier

Author Topic: Exit discharge barrier
Paul Marx
Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Paul Marx           Edit/Delete Post 
Section 1005.3.2.3 of 2000 IBC requires an "approved barrier" to be provided to prevent occupants from traveling past the level of exit discharge, typically, some type of self-closing gate.

While I've seen these installed before, I am having a great deal of trouble finding a manufacturer on the Internet. I have been able to find one or two "industrial" type contraptions, but my search usually comes up with "kiddie" gates.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes "architectural" stair gates?

Thanks very much.

Posts: 37 | From: Old Bridge, NJ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
Have seen a few I thought a company made them to order, like a fence company or someone that does welding. Looks like they would have to be custom for that job.

Also, companies that make handrails, guardrails

http://www.virginiarailingandgates.com/gates.asp

[ 08-23-2006, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: cda ]

Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Paul Marx
Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Paul Marx           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much. After I posted here (and other places) the light bulb went on and I checked our Sweets cats. I'm just so out of the habit of checking there because of what's available on line. I found some possibilities but if any one else has anymore suggestions, I'd appreciate them too. Thanks again, cda.
Posts: 37 | From: Old Bridge, NJ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgen
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for georgen           Edit/Delete Post 
We actually had our Milwright fabricate a "spring-hinged" bar assembly with a stop on the opposing wall of the stairwell which prevents occupants from traveling beyond the level of exit discharge, yet allows access from the basement area. The bar, or rail if you will, does not latch in the closed position. In addition, we installed an electromagnetic hold-open to keep the bar in the open position, This is tied into the fire alarm system to close under any alarm activation in our facility.
Posts: 264 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maniac
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for maniac           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.criterionproducts.com/framesets/frameset_broch_line.html
Posts: 5187 | From: La Habra, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page