Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » Fire Pump Room Ratings (IBC and NFPA 20)

Author Topic: Fire Pump Room Ratings (IBC and NFPA 20)
YC_IBTS
Junior Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for YC_IBTS           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering why IBC and IFC do not have the sections addressing the fire separation requirements for the fire pump rooms as stipulated in NFPA 20 5.12.1.1, which requires the fire pump room to be protected by min. 1-hr. rating.

To my understanding, IBC shall address all the fire rating constructions requirements but it is silent in this regard. We have a situation that the building plan review missed this NFPA requirements until the fire shop drawing review stage. But personally I think this really shall be a building plan examination issue.

Any thought is highly appreciated! Please also correct me if I missed something which has been in IBC/IFC

hazmatpoobah
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for hazmatpoobah           Edit/Delete Post 
The 09 IBC has new requirements for fire-resistive separation of fire pump rooms in high-rise and non high-rise buildings. It also has requirements for outdoor fire pump buildings. The requirements are based on NFPA 20.
Posts: 555 | From: South Austin Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
YC_IBTS
Junior Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for YC_IBTS           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the information. It is in the IBC/2009 913. I did not realize that that are many changes in Chapter 9. Best regards,
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
depending on the AHJ some fire departments do not do building plan review, and the building department MAY not be familiar with some NFPA standards.

also why was it not caught by the person that originaly designed the building??? were they not familiar with NFPA standards????

The other problem is other standrads/ codes require ratings, but once again if it is buried in some section of some stanard/ code it is not alway known,

[ 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: cda ]

Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page