Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » Bed & Breakfast

Author Topic: Bed & Breakfast
Frequent Contributor

 - posted      Profile for Vmac           Edit/Delete Post 
R-1, R-2, or R-3? and why?

There is never a problem until someone creates a problem.

Posts: 597 | From: Wa. St. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buckshot           Edit/Delete Post 
IBC 2006 definition "Congregate Living Facilties".

I would call it R-3 congregate living facility as long as the OL is 16 people or less and they are sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities.
Any more than that and it starts looking like R-1 transient boarding house.

Posts: 187 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Builder bob
Frequent Contributor

 - posted      Profile for Builder bob           Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough info - Typically R-1
R-1 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature, including:
Boarding houses (transient)
Hotels (transient)
Motels (transient)

TRANSIENT. Occupancy of a dwelling unit or sleeping unit for not more than 30 days. sleeping unit (a.k.a bed room)

thereof that contains sleeping units where residents share bathroom and/or kitchen facilities.

BOARDING HOUSE. A building arranged or used for lodging for compensation, with or without meals, and not occupied as a single-family unit.

IF not define as a congregate living facilities it is a boarding house by building code definitions.

Since A B&B is not defined by the buidling codes, you have to place it into the occupancy it most closely relates to. A B&B is not typically occupied as a single family unit......people outside the family pay to stay there. (usually a bedroom).

FWIW, Be sure to check state laws as they pertwin to B&B facilities.

Can you build to minimum standards? FWIW - MCP, CBO, CPE, CI, CFPE, ASCET

Posts: 4199 | From: Lost in the South........ | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shuey           Edit/Delete Post 
There is only 1 section of the codes that deals with B&B's.

Section 1103.2.11 residential group R-1. says more than 5 sleep units for rent in an owner-occupied must be accessible.

“Buildings, too, are children of Earth and Sun.” -Frank Lloyd Wright

Posts: 23 | From: Central PA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shuey           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, Since the code DOES define it as a R-1, that's what I use. This is the one and only place they are called out. It's enough for me.

“Buildings, too, are children of Earth and Sun.” -Frank Lloyd Wright

Posts: 23 | From: Central PA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Drobysh
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Drobysh           Edit/Delete Post 
Vmac - Glad to be a NYer for this one... we define them and provide requirements for them in the Existing Buildings Appendix (J) of the NYSRC.

" BED AND BREAKFAST DWELLING. Owner-occupied residence, resulting from the conversion of a one-family dwelling, used for providing overnight accommodations and a morning meal to not more than 10 transient lodgers, and containing not more than five bedrooms for such lodgers."


AJ704.1 Scope. Owner-occupied one-family dwellings converted for use as bed and breakfast dwellings as defined in Section AJ202 shall comply with this section.

AJ704.2 Occupancy. A residence converted to a bed and breakfast dwelling shall have no more than five sleeping rooms for accommodating up to 10 transient lodgers.

AJ704.3 Special conditions. A one-family dwelling is permitted to be converted for use as a bed and breakfast dwelling under the following conditions:

1. No sleeping rooms for transient use shall be located above the second story.
2. A fire-safety notice shall be affixed to the occupied side of the entrance door of each bedroom for transient use indicating:
1. Means of egress;
2. Location of means for transmitting fire alarms, if any; and
3. Evacuation procedures to be followed in the event of a fire or smoke condition or upon activation of a fire or smoke-detecting or other alarm device.

AJ704.4 Means of egress. Means of egress shall include at least one of the following alternatives:

1. A limited area sprinkler system installed in conformance with NFPA 13D protecting all interior stairs serving as a means of egress;
2. An exterior stair conforming to the requirements of Sections R314.1 and Section R314.2 of this code, providing a second means of egress from all above grade stories or levels; or
3. An opening for emergency use conforming to the requirements of Section R310 of this code within each bedroom for transient use, such opening to have a sill not more than 14 feet above level grade directly below and, as permanent equipment, a portable escape ladder that attaches securely to such sill. Such ladder shall be constructed with rigid rungs designed to stand off from the building wall, shall be capable of sustaining a minimum load of 1,000 pounds, and shall extend to and provide unobstructed egress to open space at grade."

I know you can't use them, but maybe they'll help...

Can I interest anyone in a code change proposal??

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Posts: 1938 | From: Town of Montgomery, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frequent Contributor

 - posted      Profile for peach           Edit/Delete Post 
since most of them have some sort of historical significance.. none of them will EVER comply with an IBC requirements.. usually an IRC structure allowed under local zoning..

Thanks for the memories.. Frank (old blue eyes) Sinatra

Posts: 6160 | From: metro DC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frequent Contributor

 - posted      Profile for brat           Edit/Delete Post 
What Builder Bob said. All of the jurisdictions in this area classify them as R-1.
Posts: 671 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
D a v e
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for D a v e           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree as outline as well. [Razz]

D a v e - Washington State - Have a Great Day - If we build to the code minimum we have built the worst building legally possible!

Posts: 1049 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3