Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » occupancy group for pool equipment building

Author Topic: occupancy group for pool equipment building
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for cold_fusion           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the occupancy group for a pool equipment building which contains necessary equipment for a swimming pool? It is located by the swimming pool and detached from a main facility building.
Posts: 23 | From: Carlsbad | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alias
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
U - utility building.

It is an accessory structure to the main use, which is the swimming pool.

Sue

Posts: 337 | From: the middle of nowhere | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
FyrBldgGuy
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for FyrBldgGuy           Edit/Delete Post 
If the chemicals do not exceed the allowable quantities, then a pool equipment building would likely be a "U".

--------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong." - H.L. Menchken

Posts: 147 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
Thank you guys for quick feedback!
FyrBldgGuy, we are under 2007 CPC (plumbing code). It does not list U category for occupant load calculations for required plumbing fixtures. Is the occupant load factor 5000 somewhat comparable to U category?

cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
are you asking about the pool chemical room

or the pool area itself???

you are mixing salmon and tuna

Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
cda, I'm trying to find the occupant load for the pool equipment building in order to calculate the required plumbing fixtures. 2007 CPC uses Table 4-1 which does not list U category, but hints to base on similar uses.
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
oko how many sq ft is the pool equipment building???
Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
It's a little less than 1000 s.f.
Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mark Randall           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the occupant load factor for equipment rooms in the CPC?
IBC would be 300 SF per occupant. It's not likely to change fixture requirements unless you're right on the line of needing extra fixtures.

Posts: 426 | From: WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
Group H is 2000. Group S is 5000. I don't see any similar uses other than these two groups. And I'm right on the border line for needing extra fixtures.

[ 08-10-2009, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: cold_fusion ]

John Drobysh
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Drobysh           Edit/Delete Post 
c_f -

Isn't there an employee toilet room nearby? Or at least facilities for those using the pool? Wouldn't those existing fixtures satisfy the requirement?

--------------------
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Posts: 1938 | From: Town of Montgomery, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
It's probably not an H occupancy.

It's hard to help not knowing the CPC, but 5,000 SF per occupant seems extremely low compared to IBC requirements. The lowest occupancy rate in the IBC is 500 SF per occupant for a warehouse which would most likely be an S occupancy in the IBC. Numbers don't seem on par with each other.

cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
2007 CPC does not use CBC Table 1004.1.1 for occupant load calculation. Instead, it refers to Table A-29A of CBC 2001, which does not list U category.
Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
What are the occupant requirements for the pool deck?
Pools are 50 SF per occupant in IBC. If you're not wanting to add more fixtures, a small reduction in the pool deck area would offset occupancy of the equipment room.

peesncues
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for peesncues           Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing of the CBC but I would interpret that not listing U occupancy is saying no requirement. (?)

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Posts: 433 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cold_fusion
Contributor

Rate Member
Thanks. CPC refers to chapter 31B of CBC for the required plumbing fixture calculations for swimming pool. Per 3115B.2, one bather shall be considered for every 15 square feet of pool water surface area, and that one toilet shall be provided for every 60 women, and one toilet plus one urinal for every 75 men.

[ 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: cold_fusion ]

cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
well you roccupant load for the chemical shed will 3 300 per sq ft from CBC Table 1004.1.1

so adding 3 more people to the pool does that push it over???

OR if you call the building a "U" which you can than according to the chart NO facilities are required!!!!!

at least that is my read

does 403.1 CBC read:::: like this???

SECTION 403
MINIMUM PLUMBING FACILITIES
403.1 Minimum number of fixtures. Plumbing fixtures shall
be provided for the type of occupancy and in the minimum
number shown in Table 403.1. Types of occupancies not shown
in Table 403.1 shall be considered individually by the code official.
The number of occupants shall be determined by the International
Building Code. Occupancy classification shall be
determined in accordance with the International Building
Code.

Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
peesncues may be on to something. I don't know. But realistically an equipment room is not normally occupied. Reading through examples of U occupancy in IBC, most of those structures are not normally occupied.
FyrBldgGuy
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for FyrBldgGuy           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people that are responsible for taking care of a pool would let you know that a pool is a plumbing fixure that accomodates many people (mostly kids) at the same time. No special fixtures are required for either gender.

Getting past the pool humor, if the pool area has a building that has plumbing fixtures, then no fixture would be required for the pool equipment building.

If no fixtures are provided at the pool, then something would need to be provided or the humor above would become less funny.

Occupancy load is based on a calculated number or the number of people expected. If there is only one person expected to be in the pool equipment building then the number of fixtures is based on an occupant load of one.

--------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong." - H.L. Menchken

Posts: 147 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
buckshot
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buckshot           Edit/Delete Post 
cold fusion- where is the pool located?

I think that it is important to know where the pool is located.
Public pool? Private pool? Residence? Swim club? Hotel/Motel? Country Club? The reason is that IPC 403.4 requires public toilet facilities for structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization.

Drobysh is onto something. If the pool is an accessory to a clubhouse for a subdivison or country club, the main building toilet facilities can be used.

If it is strictly a private apartment pool or a hotel/motel pool with no other structures other than a pump house, our interp is to allow the private apt. or motel room toilets to count as long as travel distances are met.

2006 IBC Table 1004.1.1 requires an occupant load to be calculated for the deck and pool surface, but IPC does not necessarily require a toilet at the pool or pump house (althought I think it a good idea).

cold fusion- Maybe your local ordinances require a toilet room adjacent to the pool?

Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but you can have a private pool without any toilet fixtures next to the pool itself or in the accessory pump house, so the occupancy group and the O.L. by itself does not trigger the toilet requirement.

Sorry, don't know CPC, this may be of little help.

[ 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: buckshot ]

Posts: 187 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
Types of occupancies not shown
in Table 403.1 shall be considered individually by the code official

nineiron
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for nineiron           Edit/Delete Post 
I could swear there's an echo in here.
Posts: 256 | From: Northern CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Drobysh
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Drobysh           Edit/Delete Post 
I could swear there's an echo in here.

--------------------
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Posts: 1938 | From: Town of Montgomery, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
buckshot
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buckshot           Edit/Delete Post 
So as building officials we are supposed to use 403.1 to require a toilet for every swimming pool?

Sorry, I'm from Missouri the Show-Me State. Show me where in the code it requires a toilet for an outdoor swimming pool without knowing the location.

Without an amendment or local ordinance I think that the code is silent on the outdoor swimming pool toilet issue because of the location of the pool in not known- pools can be installed in the backyard of a SF residence, in the common area of an apartment complex, in the court yard of a motel, etc.-all may have toilets within 500 feet (IPC 403.4.1). The pool may or may not have an equipment building or shelter associated with it. There are a lot of variables, so the travel distance and location of the nearest toilet is a good plan review question from my perspective. You can use IBC 303 and classify the indoor pools an A-3 or A-4 and go from there. I wish the code were clearer on outdoor pools.

Posts: 187 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page