Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » LEED Certification

Author Topic: LEED Certification
Vegas Paul
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Vegas Paul           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this is too off-topic for this forum, but I recently passed my LEED AP certification. I have reviewed many LEED (Green Building) projects lately, and expect to see many more in the future.

Just curious, any others LEED certified in the Building Departments? (I know that many design professionals are, but I was mainly curious about Code Officials).

--------------------
CBO, MCP, LEED AP

Posts: 748 | From: North Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mark Randall           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job!

Would you like to share your reasoning in getting LEED certification?

Being an Architect, I will eventually get certified. I've worked on several LEED projects and am the LEED administrator for the last couple projects. Because of my role, I see a reason to get certified even though I haven't had to thus far(have had other project team members who are certified), but I just don't see the motivation for someone working in the building department.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you went for it. I just don't quite understand why you would.

Posts: 426 | From: WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vegas Paul
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
Mark - I decided to get the cert. after becoming involved in the plan review for our new city hall, which is applying for LEED Silver certification. There is actually no rational reason for me getting the cert other than satisfying my curiosity about the program. for instance, I will never be involved on the design end of the process, however this gives me more insight into the basis for many of the design decisions. Additionally, I have run out of ICC certifications to get!

--------------------
CBO, MCP, LEED AP

peach
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for peach           Edit/Delete Post 
one more box to check.. [Smile]

Congrats, Paul...

It's on my "to do" list as well.. but as a 3rd party provider, not a municipal employee.. it has a little more use for me.

Having said that Paul, if you are ever looking for a new position, we have an energy division.

--------------------
Thanks for the memories.. Frank (old blue eyes) Sinatra

Posts: 6160 | From: metro DC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
pyrguy
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pyrguy           Edit/Delete Post 
I was studying to take the test but getting laid off changed things. Having to pay the full price of testing wasn't high on my to do list.

It's still there but IIRC they are/have changed the test info.

Congrats on passing.

--------------------
Dwight, CBO, MCP

Looking for work. Resume here

e-mail is pyrguy at yahoo dot com

Posts: 248 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
outsidethebox
Frequent Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for outsidethebox           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is that many people feel like Peach here. One more box to check. Congrats btw. But the truth is that we probably have more LEED certified people than we do LEED certified buildings and I don't see that changing any time soon. As a DP I have avoided the LEED hysteria. I don't see the point of it I suppose. As a plans examiner I have yet to see a project come into this office. I'm not certain what, if any, role I would play in it either.

On a side note, I tell a lot of people, either employed or not(mostly not), to work on other certs. because today with or without LEED on it, it looks just like everybody elses resume. I push them to find something other than LEED which makes them stand out. Of course you did it for yourself so again congrats.

Posts: 242 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frank Castelvecchi
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Frank Castelvecchi           Edit/Delete Post 
Might want to hold up on LEED Cert

There is an ICC Green Building--Residential Examiner Certification available.

http://www.iccsafe.org/certification/inspector/g1.html

And with the forthcomming development of the ICC Green Standard a commercial version will be in the works.

Posts: 1476 | From: Henrico, VA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for peach           Edit/Delete Post 
LEED is a USGBC thing... not ICC..

while the two may recognize each other at a cocktail party, they won't engage in a conversation..

I say that because USGBC and the LEED certification are totally different than green globes, NAHB green certification and ICC.. they are better than we are..

not better.. better known.. having LEED AP after your name means more than having to check the ICC website for the ICC green building residential examiner.. it's a trademark thing..

--------------------
Thanks for the memories.. Frank (old blue eyes) Sinatra

Posts: 6160 | From: metro DC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arlene Z Stewart
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Arlene Z Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Folks,

A clarification:

In the USGBC worlds, Buildings/homes are certified.
People are accreditted.

Becoming a LEED accredited professional (LEED-AP) may come in handy as a plan review and inspector, if for no other reason than presumably you'll have a greater understanding of what the LEEP-NC certification will require. By extension, you may have a better idea of the innovative ways that these buildings may be designed, where they may conflict with ICC codes and/or local ordinances and what the overall intent of the provisions may be.

As both, you may be able to suggest or recognizes attempts to use alternatives that will meet the intent of both sets on instructions. This might be the best reason for becoming LEED AP or LEED-H AP. Otherwise, the new designation for Green Associate might be best. Or consider the Certified Green Professional Designation from the NAHB.

--------------------
Arlene Zavocki Stewart
President
Certified Class 1 Residential Energy Rater 530
Certified Commercial Energy Rater 704
AZS Consulting, Inc.
3328 NW 110th Terrace
Gainesville, FL 32606

Posts: 136 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vegas Paul
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
The primary reason I decided to get this accreditation (and the associated knowledge that accompanied it) was due to the large number of LEED projects submitted for my review. I have not seen any submittals claiming to be compliant with the ICC Green Building Code (of course, no jurisdiction around here has adopted that code either).

A lot of the major commercial projects submitted lately and all of the public building projects are required to be LEED certified in their contract specifications. Consequently, they contain new design strategies that I desired to know more about. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps when the ICC Green codes become mandated by our jurisdiction, I will explore those as well.

--------------------
CBO, MCP, LEED AP

NewSchool
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NewSchool           Edit/Delete Post 
I had planned on becoming LEED certified - although it wouldn't help me as a commercial plan reviewer.

The reason why I am dragging my feet now is that I am under the belief that in order to maintain the LEED AP+ certificate, you must actively participate in a LEED project every so often.

But there's no guarantee that I can find a client who cares about being green. And, if I can't volunteer for a team that needs me, then I lose the certification. Is that true under the new 3.0 system?

--------------------------------
AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI
ICC Plans Examiner

[ 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: NewSchool ]

Posts: 132 | From: Lincoln | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Randall
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mark Randall           Edit/Delete Post 
NewSchool,
I don't believe that is quite accurate. There are a number of changes that I'm a little familiar with in the new testing system.
1. There are continuing Education type requirements (15 hours every two years).
2. Taking the test now requires the applicant to have participated in at least one project prior to examination.
3. There are also different levels of accreditation: See the following link for information on accreditation types:
http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=28

Interested building officials may be able to be accredited as LEED Green Associate. This is a category kind of designed for people in the material supplier industry. I'm not sure, but I think building official might qualify as well.

[ 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Mark Randall ]

Posts: 426 | From: WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sedrick
Contributor

- posted      Profile for Sedrick           Edit/Delete Post 
Code enforcement officials in California will need to be familiar with green building requirements as the California Green Building Code takes effect in a little over two weeks.

California willl adapt it on August 1st, however much of it will still not be mandatory as the State is trying to ease people into it. Eventually it all will be mandatory, and plan checkers and inspectors will need to enforce it. Much of the California green code's sections are nearly identical to LEED requirements, and probably also very similar to whatever ICC is doing with green building.

In case anyone is interested, the new California green code can be viewed at the following link:
http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/2009/part11_2008_calgreen_code.pdf

Posts: 43 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
HARLEYBOY
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HARLEYBOY           Edit/Delete Post 
I am commercial and residential plans analyst and also passed my LEED test last election day. I did the test in order to become the one LEED AP person in our Community Development group. We have a City Jail Addition under design which is required to be LEED certified and I am helping oversee that process (I am not the official LEED person though). We also have an 11 story private building which is going to be LEED certified. It is a demanding test but one well worth taking - especially since the ICC ANSI 700 residential green building code is modeled after the LEED process and I would suspect that the new commercial green building code that ICC is starting will also be modeled after the LEED process. Finally it sure does not hurt to have this on resume if ever needed.
Posts: 302 | From: broomfield , colorado u.s. | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Arlene Z Stewart
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Arlene Z Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Vegas Paul, please note that ICC-700 is a standard, not a code. ICC just started work on a International Green Construction Code on June 29, what? three weeks ago. They probably have a long way to go.

--------------------
Arlene Zavocki Stewart
President
Certified Class 1 Residential Energy Rater 530
Certified Commercial Energy Rater 704
AZS Consulting, Inc.
3328 NW 110th Terrace
Gainesville, FL 32606

Posts: 136 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page