Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » 3 dimensional shingles

Author Topic: 3 dimensional shingles
Z-Builder
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for Z-Builder           Edit/Delete Post 
My guys installed three dimensional shingles on a house re-roof. We tore the old shingles off. Installed 2 rows of ice & water shield for a 6/12 slope with the rest #15 felt. Everything was to code - or so we thought. Now the home owners are complaining its not to code because of the way they LOOK. Is there a code on how something LOOKS? There are no drip lines to run straight on 3 dimensional shingles, but they say the patterns don't look right. Evidently there is something called "Racking". Is "Racking" regulated by the code and warrant re-doing?
Posts: 363 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jj1289
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jj1289           Edit/Delete Post 
Z-builder, looks are not covered by the building code. The actual installation of the shingles would be governed by the mfg installation instructions, except in hurricane prone regions. The only thing that I can think of is the staggering of the shingles was not per the manufacturer.
Posts: 105 | From: Oakdale, CT | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
maniac
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for maniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If you did not follow the Manufactures installation instructions, You may void the warrantee.
I believe you will find they recommend the first course have the tabs cut off to get that sharp edge. The next course goes over the top of it.
www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres/FF974D0F-E870-4CBE-B3C4-B34E95713A53/0/threetabinstall.pdf

Sounds like they messed up.

[ 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: maniac ]

Posts: 5187 | From: La Habra, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boo1
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Boo1           Edit/Delete Post 
Maniac dont cut the shingles tabs, buy starter strips.

Z offset layout is prefered to reduce the chance for leakage. Never have i heard of re-doing becouse of "racking".

Posts: 229 | From: NW, FL, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for peach           Edit/Delete Post 
"racking" is a term used in wind and seismic zones and has nothing to do with shingles.. (unless the manufacturer says so)

(at least you tore off the old ones... dimensional shingles are not an overlay product)..

The manufacturer's instructions are what you need to adhere to...

--------------------
Thanks for the memories.. Frank (old blue eyes) Sinatra

Posts: 6160 | From: metro DC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
maniac
Frequent Contributor

BOO

Manufactures installation instructions recommend the first course have the tabs cut off.
Since you know better than the Manufactures, maybe you should let them know.
www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres/FF974D0F-E870-4CBE-B3C4-B34E95713A53/0/threetabinstall.pdf

[ 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: maniac ]

constructionarbitrator
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for constructionarbitrator           Edit/Delete Post 
Maniac:

Your response surprised me so I followed your link. It's *either* use starter *or* cut the tabs off:
quote:
1. Use CertainTeed Starter™ (10" x 36") or a starter course consisting of the shingles from which the lower 5" tabs have been removed....

--------------------
"When two people agree about everything, only one of 'em's thinking." ~ Texan Sam Rayburn, Legendary Speaker of the House.

Posts: 3151 | From: Martinez, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DRP
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for DRP           Edit/Delete Post 
Racking on a shingle job is the offset from row to row. In 3 tab the racking is obvious, usually "racked" 6" but can be 2,3,4,or5 in some cases.
The package shows the mfr's preferred method of racking the roof. I believe on dimensionals its 6" cut off row 2, 12" off row 3 etc.

Around here some guys just roll with them and bring the cutoff back around for a starter. A quick walk on the roof of their jobs shows shiners since they don't know from row to row whether they are putting a nail in a seam line of the next course. If so they will leak later on all but the steepest pitches.

So yes, a good roofer still racks dimensionals, read the package.

Posts: 472 | From: VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Old n Broken
Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Old n Broken           Edit/Delete Post 
As a building inspector I regulate building safety, I don't regulate ugly. If you are looking for some that regulates ugly, you will have to go to Planning.
Posts: 31 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
FoxCode1
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for FoxCode1           Edit/Delete Post 
starter strips are perfectly acceptable for roofing,and as far as shingle warrent,s go try and collect on one once it is very hard to do.Z-Builder without seeing the roof it is hard to comment but it is next to impossible to mess up dimensional shingles.Post a picture if possible.

--------------------
FoxCode1

Posts: 246 | From: ncentral,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boo1
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Boo1           Edit/Delete Post 
Z consider asking your shingle supplier to drive by the job and see if they see any thing wrong with the installation.

Cutting 3-tab is the "old school method" for making your own starter strips and hip/ridge cap. With three dimensional singles its much harder to cut them out, due to the double or triple layer thich construction and non-uniform tab layout. (Sorry if I got anyone upset)

Posts: 229 | From: NW, FL, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
maniac
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for pointng that out CA
maniac
Frequent Contributor

How To Minimize Buckling of Asphalt Shingles
http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?content=pub_searchresults&pK=k310&pT=Yes&pD=Yes&pF=Yes&CFID=5797308&CFTOKEN=59973649

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page