Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » Range Hood Requirements

Author Topic: Range Hood Requirements
LWALLACE
Contributor

- posted      Profile for LWALLACE           Edit/Delete Post 
Need a little help. Existing 7 story office building. They want to install a small electric range in employee break room. Mechanical code says "commercial hood" requirements - it is a residential style range? NFPA 96 Annex A uses the word "Judgment" for employee break rooms for warming food. Would you require the Class I or II as the mechanical code states?? Major debate here in our office!
Posts: 52 | From: Northern KY | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
packsaddle
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for packsaddle           Edit/Delete Post 
2003 IMC

Posts: 1896 | From: Latitude: 25° 13' North / Longitude: 55° 17' East | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
cbo_3050
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cbo_3050           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the residential oven top in a commercial setting is what if someone fries chicken and has grease laden vapors (type 1 hood required)? It's hard to regulate what they'll use it for (or won't).

Most office break rooms I see get microwaves, which is what I'd suggest.

Posts: 1881 | From: Merriam, Kansas | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LWALLACE
Contributor

- posted      Profile for LWALLACE           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to both
Posts: 52 | From: Northern KY | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
new guy
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for new guy           Edit/Delete Post 
One could possibly be compelled to install the commercial hood in this application as per IMC 507.2.3 , if one would define this type of activity as being "for commercial purposes".

I wouldn't, given less cooking would actually take place in this environment than in a typical household. Especially since I expect "the boss" would severely limit both time spent and types of things being cooked.

One could suggest posting a sign identifying limits on the types of cooking allowed i. e. no deep fat frying, etc.

I believe IMC 105.1 would allow me to give this discretion.

Other opinions may differ and I respect those folks, too.

Posts: 447 | From: Middletown, PA 17057 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgen
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for georgen           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking from experience, I agree with cbo. We have a residential electric stove used for educating patients how to work safely around a stove at home through a therapy prgram. I "was told" that they were simply "boiling water". I learned differently when I found the staff cooking upa pot of chili on the stove recently. I posted signage in response to this finding. Hopefully those signs will work better than the NO PARKING signs posted along our hospital roadway systems.
Posts: 264 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dsjtecserv
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for dsjtecserv           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a disucssion on exactly the same topic in the Mechnaical codes sections just a few weeks ago:
http://www.iccsafe.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001167.html

For your convenience, I'll reprint my reply from that thread:

The key phrase in IMC section 507.2.3 is "utilized for commercial purposes." The section says that if a domestic appliance is utilized for commercial purposes it needs a commercial hood. The corollary is that if a domestic appliance is NOT used for comercial purposes, it does NOT need a commercial hood.
The IMC does not define "commercial purposes" or even "commercial". That means that the common dictionary definition determines the application of the terms. Any dictionary you consult will define commercial as having to do with producing or conveying goods to a MARKET, usually involving an exchange of money.

The conditions and purpose of the facility described in JSW's initial post do not suggest that there is a commercial purpose involved in the use of these appliances. They are there for the training of students in cooking food for domestic consumption, using equipment likely to be available in the home. There is no indication that the food is being produced to supply a market or to exchange for money or any other item of value. This is in clear contrast to, for instance, the school cafeteria, which unquestionably produces food for a market.

Based on this I don't see any way that a requirement for a commerical hood, either Type I or or Type II, can be justified.

Also note that there is nothing in the listing of a domestic appliance that prohibits it's use for domestic-type purposes in a location other than a household. This is a common misconception. The key is not the location, but the type of usage. Just like a microwave in the break room of a commercial establishment is not being used for commercial purposes (and IS being used in a way typical of a home) a domestic range in a school Home Ec room should not be treated as a commercial appliance just because it isn't in a house.

---

A domestic range being used for non-commercial purposes does not require either a type I or type II hood, regardless of the occupancy in which it is located. The key is the type of use of the appliance, not the location. The possibility of frying chicken in a break room doesn't trigger the need for a commercial hood any more than does the possibility of frying chicken in your home kitchen. The people who wrote the code were very careful to draft the language to express this intent. There should be no serious suggestion that a commercial hood is needed unless there is compelling evidence that the appliance will be used for commercial purposes. Such eveidence hasn't been suggested in this case.

Dave

Posts: 619 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page