Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Building and Residential Codes -- Non-Structural Issues » Net floor area for occupant load

Author Topic: Net floor area for occupant load
ricks
Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ricks           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a school project: 2003 IBC, E Occupancy, Construction type V-B. Re: table 1004.1.2, and definition of "net floor area". The topic of concern is whether fixed casework such as science lab casework with sinks, and/or science islands should be excluded from the "net floor area"? A statement in the 2003 IBC Commentary, page
10-12 discusses Section 1004.1.2 which states: "The area used for permanent building components, such as shafts, fixed equipment, thicknesses of walls, corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets is not included in net floor area". With this in mind, should fixed casework as noted above be considered fixed equipment, and thus not added into the area?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | From: seattle, wa, u.s.a. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Walt
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Walt           Edit/Delete Post 
I would allow you to deduct fixed lab equipment/casework for net. It is important to remember that you must use the actual load or a tabular load whichever is higher. One would presume that the proposed occupant load of the lab/classroom is known.

We would review both loads to see if there was a siginificant difference or something that might affect egress or life safety prior to approval.

Posts: 282 | From: Arlington, VA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dandarch
Frequent Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dandarch           Edit/Delete Post 
The definition of Floor Area, Net is pretty specific "FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets." See page 10-5 of the Commentary. Also the numbers for Educational occupancy in Table 1004.1.2 are misaligned in the Commentary, page 10-12. Classroom should be 20 net and Shops and other vocational room areas should be 50 net. The extra 30 sf per occupant should account for any equipment in those rooms.

Posts: 178 | From: Suburban Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
ricks
Contributor

Rate Member
Thanks for your reply. I'm mot sure if your response indicates that I should be using the 50 sf/occupant for a science room, and not deduct the casework? Walt's previous response above is clear to me, in he indicates that the science casework should be deducted. I've typically used 20 sf/occupant for science classroom, and since many of these rooms are over 1000 sf including casework, we would typically need 2 exits. But if the casework could be deducted, the net floor area would be less than 1000 sf, with occupant load at less than 50 and one exit would suffice. Is this the intent of the IBC?
Dandarch
Frequent Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dandarch           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a classroom or a lab or a combination?

If it is strictly classroom type then 20. If it's strictly lab then 50. If it's a combination then the classroom area at 20 and the lab area at 50. Many sciences would be considered as "other vocational area". No deduction for fixed casework - that is taken into consideration in the 50.

As a side note, due to a major expansion of a vocational school in the area, the supporting school districts are closing all of their shop classes due to low interest and moving them to the vocational school. They are converting the shop areas with formerly fixed equipment to classrooms.

Your quote from the Commentary: "The area used for permanent building components, such as shafts, fixed equipment, thicknesses of walls, corridors, stairways, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets is not included in net floor area". Clearly indicates that the the fixed equipment refered is part of the *permanent building components*.

[This message has been edited by Dandarch (edited 10-26-2004).]

Posts: 178 | From: Suburban Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
I would say include it in. That is what I have been taught such as for mercantile you do not take out the displays and such.
Now as whether to use 20 or 50 is the question.

http://www.iccsafe.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005639.html

Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
ricks
Contributor

Rate Member
Thanks to all for your replies. Our project is a typical junior high school science classroom, with perimeter casework/sinks,and the usual peninsulas. One classroom plan has islands. For an older project reviewed under the 97 UBC, we were told to deduct the casework, but typically we included it when using the UBC. The new IBC "net floor area" is the term that needs some clarification with regards to fixed casework being the same as fixed equipment it seems to me, as the useable space is quite less.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page