ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Code Chat » Fire Codes » smoke detectors

Author Topic: smoke detectors
peach
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for peach           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm probably grasping at straws here (given the physics of smoke movement), but does anyone know of a smoke detector that can be wall mounted and only 2" from the ceiling? thanks
Posts: 6160 | From: metro DC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
they all can you just drill the holes closer to the ceiling. Have you thought about using beam detectors????

For real:
Is there some reason it cannot go on the ceiling, what is the specfic problem???

[This message has been edited by cda (edited 06-10-2005).]

Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

The electrician mounted them on the walls and they are only 2" from the ceiling. Most manufacturers require 4-12". I was hoping there was some whiz-bang detectors that could be mounted closer to the ceiling that we could just wire into the existing boxes (since the house is now done)..
cda
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cda           Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like sheetrock repair time. I have not seen any and nfpa says you should not put them there. It is not the first time I have seen detectors to high or to low and told them to move them. This criteria has been around for years.
Posts: 6255 | From: Had to move to parent's basement without code compliant escape window | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

Does NFPA 72 address placement? Seems since the IRC is mute on it and if NFPA isn't specific, it's the contractor's problem (and thus - liability insurance).. yup.. it's a problem, but probably not the inspectors'...I don't have 72 handy right now.. thanks for the input.. I think the electrician is in the process (as I type) of moving them ..

[This message has been edited by peach!! (edited 06-10-2005).]

Brent
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brent           Edit/Delete Post 
After 5 on friday- you have a dedicated electrican!!
Posts: 279 | From: Salt Lake County, Utah, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

not dedicated as much as the house HAS to close on Wednesday and HAS to be reinspected on Tuesday and HAS to pass !!
InsLCRep
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for InsLCRep           Edit/Delete Post 
As per NFPA 72, 2002 edition,

11.8.3.1 Flat Ceilings. Smoke alarms or smoke detectors mounted on a flat ceiling shall be located no closer than 102 mm (4 in.) from the adjoining wall surface.

11.8.3.2* Peaked Ceilings. Smoke alarms or smoke detectors mounted on a peaked ceiling shall be located within 914 mm (36 in.) horizontally of the peak, but not closer than 102 mm (4 in.) vertically to the peak.

11.8.3.3* Sloped Ceilings. Smoke alarms or smoke detectors mounted on a sloped ceiling having a rise greater than 1 m in 8 m (1 ft in 8 ft) horizontally shall be located within 914 mm (36 in.) of the high side of the ceiling, but not closer than 102 mm (4 in.) from the adjoining wall surface.

11.8.3.4* Wall Mounting. Smoke alarms or smoke detectors mounted on walls shall be located not closer than 102 mm (4 in.) from the adjoining ceiling surface and not further than 305 mm (12 in.) from the adjoining ceiling surface.

This has been in NFPA 72 for many years.

Regards

Tom

Posts: 246 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Tom.. that's what I was looking for
DMessler
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for DMessler           Edit/Delete Post 
MFG installation instructions (99.99999% of the time code correct and as stated in most code books in first chapter) superceed all as long as code compliant.
Posts: 805 | From: Inland Empire, So. Calif. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
peach
Frequent Contributor

that's what I was looking for when I originally posted.. a manufacturer with different installation instructions.. but, not finding one, we're relocating the smoke detectors..

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page