Codes, Standards & Guidelines
Education
Certification & Testing

Bulletin Board Archive

Bookmark and Share
ICC Bulletin Board   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ICC Bulletin Board » Regional Chapter Communication Forums » Region VII of the International Code Council » ADA code

Author Topic: ADA code
rspjr
Junior Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for rspjr           Edit/Delete Post 
Can some tell me if if the door entering a single use bath( lav, water closet, shower) can swing into, no more than 12", the required clear area for the fixtures.
rspjr

Posts: 2 | From: Newport News, Va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Bob
Frequent Contributor

- posted      Profile for Uncle Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
rspjr,

Welcome to the forum; hope you decide to stay and contribute.

Has Newport News, VA adopted the ADA Standards for their accessiblility requirements? I tried to check their codes but "muni-Code" wanted $200 to look; forget that.

The only thing I can tell you is; that if Newport News has adopted the ICC International Building Code (IBC); you will most likely need to use ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003;

There, under 603 Toilets and Bathrooms; I found the following;

603.2.3 Door Swing. Doors shall not swing into the clear floor space or clearance for any fixture.

EXCEPTION 1. states that, "Doors to a toilet and bathing room for a single occupant, accessed only through a private office and not for common use or public use shall be permitted to swing into the clear floor space, provided the swing of the door can be reversed to meet Section 603.2.3."

I don't think EXCEPTION 2 applies; but, here it is if you can use it;

"Where the room is for individual use and a clear floor space complying with Section 305.3 is provided within the room beyond the arc of the door swing."

Hope this helps,

Uncle Bob

--------------------
Putting back my e-mail address; osoros@hotmail.com (ps. my real name is not "Bob Hamilton"); just in case I find that I am not a "valued member". :(

Posts: 4405 | From: Central Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Sweet
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Paul Sweet           Edit/Delete Post 
The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code can be read on-line at: https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virginia/

Is the building under the IBC or IRC? If it's under the IBC, is it Type A, Type B or a fully accessible bathroom?

Posts: 1555 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
GREEN
Frequent Contributor

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GREEN           Edit/Delete Post 
Currently the ADA standards would NOT allow the door to swing into the required floor space for any fixtures in single user restrooms for commercial buildings. The new ADA/ABA standards that are currently under review by the Dept. of Justice would allow it as long as a 30x48 clear space beyond the door swing is provided in the single user restroom so the user can close the door once in the restroom. This standard may be adopted as early as next spring/summer.

[ 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: GREEN ]

Posts: 214 | From: MD. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
rspjr
Junior Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for rspjr           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks to all that replied
rspjr

Posts: 2 | From: Newport News, Va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken.robinson
Junior Contributor

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ken.robinson           Edit/Delete Post 
You might try this if your situation has not been resolved. Good information 4.17, take a look. i've used it.

Hope it helps

Ken

Appendix A to Part 1191 - Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Accessibility Guidelines
for Buildings and Facilities

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

ICC Home Page